Beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, October 4 through system closing Sunday, October 6, free shuttle buses will replace Red Line trains between Dupont Circle and NoMa-Gallaudet stations to allow for major rebuilding work through the downtown area. The work includes replacement and renewal of third-rail components, installation of new rail fasteners, elimination of joints between sections of rail and structural work.
As a result, Farragut North, Judiciary Square and Union Station will be closed. Gallery Place will remain open for Yellow and Green line service only; Metro Center will remain open for Blue and Orange line service only.
During that weekend, Red Line trains will operate as follows:
- Between Shady Grove and Dupont Circle - Every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. and at regular weekend intervals (every 15-20 minutes) at other times.
- Between Glenmont and NoMa-Gallaudet - Every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. and at regular weekend intervals (every 15-20 minutes) at other times.
- Limited stop buses will travel between Dupont Circle and NoMa-Gallaudet stations with intermediate stops at Metro Center and Gallery Place only.
- Local buses will travel between Dupont Circle and NoMa-Gallaudet making all intermediate stops (Farragut North, Metro Center, Gallery Place, Judiciary Square and Union Station).
- From the eastern side of the Red Line, use the Green Line between Fort Totten and downtown destinations.
- Metrobus may be a good alternate for some riders, including those along Wisconsin Ave. NW and Connecticut Ave. NW. To check, use Metro's trip planner and select the "bus only" option.
- Riders transferring between the Blue/Orange and Green/Yellow lines should use L'Enfant Plaza.