Wednesday, July 1, 2015

SHA Begins Resurfacing I-370 Between I-270 and MD 355


The Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (SHA) has begun a 5.3-mile, $4.6 million safety and resurfacing project along I-370 (Sam Eig Highway), from I-270 (Eisenhower Highway) to MD 355 (South Frederick Road) in Gaithersburg. The project is expected to be completed by the end of the year. More than 90,000 vehicles use this section of I-370 every day.

To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, SHA will repair and replace sidewalks and sidewalk ramps along Pleasant Road and Shady Grove Road. The project also includes upgrading traffic signals at the end of the ramp from I-370 to Pleasant Road and I-370 to MD 355 with new mast arms, signal heads and LED lights. SHA will replace traffic barrier end treatments, patch concrete, grind and resurface roadways, add new pavement markings and clean existing inlets and pipes to prevent standing water on the roadway. Currently, crews are patching sections of I-370 in advance of resurfacing later this summer.

Crews are permitted to temporarily close one traffic lane in both directions of I-370 weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Double-lane closures are permitted overnight, Sunday through Thursday between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. During the current roadway patching operation, two lane closures are also permitted from Friday night at 9 p.m. through Monday morning at 5 a.m.