Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Fawsett Road Improvements Completed

The Division of Transportation Engineering recently began making improvements to Fawsett Road in Potomac to bring it up to current standards. It is the first road to be upgraded under the Dedicated but Unmaintained County Roads policy, adopted by the County Council in 2009. The policy allows homeowners who live on roads that are not maintained by the County to vote to pay 90 percent of the cost of upgrades. The County pays the other 10 percent. Once the upgrades are completed, the Montgomery County Department of Transportation takes over maintenance of the road, including road repairs and snow removal. There are about 60 roads originally built by developers that did not meet County standards and were never accepted for maintenance by the County.

Fawsett Road is about .29 miles long and located east of 1119 Fawsett Road. Currently a gravel road, it will be paved and a storm drain system will be installed. The road’s 18 homeowners will each pay $28,000 over a 20-year period for the improvements.