On May 8, officers at the intersection of Veirs Mill Road and Turkey Branch Parkway in Aspen Hill addressed safety concerns between 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.:
- 72 drivers were cited for failing to stop for a pedestrian crossing the roadway in a crosswalk;
- One driver was cited for a child seat violation;
- Four tickets were issued for driving with a suspended license; and
- Two citations noted the need for safety repairs to vehicles.
Between 2008 and 2012, 48.5 percent of Maryland’s nighttime passenger vehicle fatality victims were not wearing seat belts. On May 10, Montgomery County, Gaithersburg and Rockville City police officers conducted nighttime seat belt enforcement for several hours starting at 7:30 p.m. at the entrance and exit ramps of I-270 and I-495.
The activity resulted in a total of 139 traffic citations, with the following breakdown:
- 44 seat belt citations issued;
- 59 warnings issued;
- Four driving under the influence (DUI) arrests;
- Two criminal arrests;
- One criminal citation issued;
- One warrant served;
- Eight driving with a suspended license citations; and
- 25 citations noted the need for safety repairs to vehicles.
Information on the campaign and the Street Smart public education program is available on MWCOG’s website.